Thursday, October 18, 2012

TbT: "With The Beatles"

Been a while since I've done one of these, huh? Cleaning up the format of these a bit.

    With The Beatles is The Beatles' second British release from 1963. It features 14 tracks, so I better get started, huh? Yes. Yes I better.

1. It Won't Be Long
   Nothing terribly special, but a good way to start the album, and a catchy little ditty. I really dig the call-and-response vocal thing going on. According to Lennon, "It Won't Be Long is mine. It was my attempt at writing another single. It never quite made it. That was the one where the guy in the London Times wrote about the 'Aeolian cadences of the chords' - which started the whole intellectual bit about The Beatles." I'll give it a 7.
2. All I've Got To Do
   Criminally underrated album filler! Well...yeah, it is album filler. BUT IT'S GOOD ALBUM FILLER! The harmonies aren't at their best or worst here. When you break it down and examine it, you're left with a short catchy tune that probably didn't take much effort, considering the genius who wrote it. 6.75.
3. All My Loving
  Great tune, here, great tune! Everyone remembers the Beatles singing this on the Ed Sullivan Show....except me, I wasn't around in the '60s. Everything's great here: The guitars, the steady drum beat, the harmonies coming in, EVERYTHING! This is the first track on the album that everyone's gonna know. Great song, 10!
4. Don't Bother Me
  Harrison's first song released. While it is catchy and genuinely good, you can tell by listening to it that Harrison wasn't terribly experienced at this point. Some of the lyrics are awkward, and the voice delivering them doesn't help much. I still wouldn't call it album filler. Despite all the issues, this song makes history, being, as I said, the first Harrison piece on an album. Without this, we may not have "Something." Sort of bleh, but also really cool. I'll give it a 7.
5. Little Child
   Album filler, through and through. Not much to say about, except the lyrics are creepy in the worst possible way. "Little Child, won't you dance with me? I'm so sad and lonely! Baby, take a chance with me." 5.5.
6. 'Till There Was You
  Another album filler. It is good, but it doesn't even last two minutes. Feels like they're just trying to fill up the record. 6.
7. Please Mr. Postman
   I'm really not sure whether or not to call this album filler. It's a cover, that feels a bit rushed, but this rushed energy gives it the vibe. The vibe! 6.75.
8. Roll Over Beethoven
   A cover that isn't album filler by any stretch of the imagination. Feels like the Beatles' old days in Hamburg, pumping with energy. They could make mistakes! They could do whatever they wanted! How 'bout an 8?
9. Hold Me Tight
  Album filler by Paul's own admission. Catchy, though. You get a 5. Moving on...
10. You Really Got A Hold On Me
  Again, I'm on the fence about whether or not this is album filler. The vocal harmonies are beautiful, but I've come to expect that from the Beatles. 7. Either way, fairly enjoyable.
11. I Wanna Be Your Man
  Feels like it was cobbled together just to give Ringo a chance to sing. They gave it to the Rolling Stone's before they did it. But, one thing is clear. This version blows the Rolling Stone's version out of the water! Album filler in the greatest possible way! 8.5!
12. Devil In Her Heart
  While "I Wanna Be Your Man" was thrown together to give Ringo a chance to sing, this cover was thrown together to give George another song. Somehow, I can't say it's album filler though, even if I feel that way. Why? Because it's one of my favorite Beatles cover versions. Terribly underrated! Another 8!
13. Not A Second Time
  Blah blah blah album filler, blah blah blah decent regardless, blah blah blah blah blah 6 blah blah blah.
14. Money (That's What I Want)
  I find this song rather overrated. It just feels like they're trying to recapture the magic of "Twist and Shout," but can't, because John doesn't have a cold this time around. Still a good way to end off. Maybe a 7.5?

The Conclusion?
   It was a good album, though it seemed jam-packed with filler. It's still great for casual listeners, but don't expect the sheer greatness of "A Hard Day's Night" or "Abbey Road."
Overall: 7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment